Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Talking Points #3

"Gayness, Multiculturalism, and Community"-Carlson


Quote 1:
"One thing we can conclude about they emerging shape of community in America is that because it is more fragmented, it is becoming more difficult to construct a "public" curriculum that has a broad-based support. This represents a problem for both democratic progressive and neoconservative or the new right forces."

Comment: 
Fragmented meaning that the country is separated broken off or detached into small groups makes it difficult to appeal to one group of people so there cannot be one curriculum that can support every community or group. Every community in America is different some by race, culture, and gender, or just simply by common interests that vary among states. With all of the social movements and changes it is every hard for there to be a strong democratic decision on a certain curriculum.

Quote 2: 
"But there are more specific cultural and historical linkages between identity as struggles as well. When we examine gayness, for example, we are inevitably drawn into examination of gender, and thus "maleness" and "femaleness" as well, for the historical treatment and representation of women and gays has been very similar in this culture and may be related to a common patriarchal worldview."

Comment: 
I believe this to not be true I don't believe that linkages between identity struggles come from historical linkages. I believe that identity struggles come from the world we live in today and everybody trying to conform to what everybody else is doing. The gayness of the world is just becoming more and more accepted and just recently there have been gay marriages allowed in some states this would have never been linked to history this most likely wouldn't have been accepted. Some people still don't accept this.

Quote 3: 
"Throughout much of this century, the dominant idea of community in America was represented by what I will call the normalizing community. Within normalizing communities, some individuals and subject positions get privileged and represented as "normal" which other individuals and subject positions are disempowered and represented as deviant."

Comment: 
I agree with this quote because it states how white, middle class, make, heterosexuals are privileged and considered normal and black, working class, female, and homosexuals are considered deviant. This is still true in some societies today when white people view another race they still think some of these things are normal and don't consider them equal to themselves. However, I don't consider myself different from anybody else except that I am considered part of the deviant group because I am a female.

3 comments:

  1. I disagree that there is no connection between identity and history. For one, i feel we can connect struggles within todays society to the struggles of other cultures throughout history. In fact, i also would like to point out that although gay marriage was not allowed before our generation, to my knowledge, gayness was widely accepted and celebrated historically in Greek and Roman culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with matt's post. We tend to relate certain issues that we as a society face today to issues that faced our society in years past. However I would point out to matt that here in America, I don't believe there was ever a point in which gay marriage was considered just. I personally have no concern for whether two men or two women wish to wed, but I do know that a large portion of people in this countries history have completely disagreed with it. Our society is different than those of old Greek and Roman society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that identity struggles come from the world we live in today and everybody trying to conform to what everybody else is doing.

    I agree with you, I really hate when people just mimmick what they see on TV and try to act a certain way. People need to feel comfortable being who they are.

    ReplyDelete