"Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us"
Quote 1:
"Both young women wanted the race of actors changed, but they didn't challenge the class or underlying gender inequities that also characterize the lives of cinderella, Ariel the mermaid, and Snow White. Kenya's and Sabrina's anger justified. There should be more women of color who play the leads in these white-on-white wedding cake tales."
Comment:
I don't agree with this these cartoons came out a long time ago and are meant for the enjoyment by children and parents buy them for their children's enjoyment. While watching these shows the children aren't thinking about race of the ethnicity of the actors and cartoons they are just thinking about pure enjoyment. It is the people that worry about the culture that get wrapped up in all of the ethnicity and drama.
Quote 2:
"I start by showing students old cartoons because the stereotypes are so blatant. We look at the roles of women, men, people of color, and poor people play in the cartoons."
Comment:
There are significant stereotypes in the cartoons but do you really think that when students are watching the cartoons they put two and two together about what ethnicity and race are playing the lead cast, the baffoon, and the servants. I think this is more to adults who notice these problems with the cartoons but when children watch them they don't think anything of the stereotypes.
Quote 3:
"Many students don't want to believe that they have been manipulated by children's media or advertising. No one wants to admit they have been "handled" by the media."
Comment:
People say they haven't been affected by the media or never listen to what the media has to say when it comes in from all angles. You get media from the television, radio, schools, and everywhere. There is media everywhere and everybody follows the media I know whenever I hear "everybody runs on dunkin" that I always want dunkin. Whenever you think media doesn't affect you it always will where you buy you food where you hand out, shop is all affected by the media and you don't even know it.
Yeah, I see what people are saying, and perhaps kids pick up stereotypes without realizing it, but I think people are going a bit overboard. We have improved a lot too. The movie "The Princess and the Frog" is a great example of this.
ReplyDeleteAs true as this is, I don't think there should be a "quota" type thing for fairy tales and such. You shouldn't have to expose your children to 2 white, 2 black, 2 Asian, etc. things at a time, just to even out the messages. That's just silly. I think that you need to establish yourself as a parent before you let the television do the job for you.
ReplyDeleteI also think we are going a little overboard with this idea that our children have been completely consumed by fairy tales and things that they see on the television. Yes I do think that the TV has a lot of influence on a young childs life but a parent is always there or should always be there, to explain to the child what is right and what is wrong. Even then though, is that really necessary. I watched plenty of disney movies when I was a kid and they were all magical to me. Yet here I am today, completely normal and unaffected by them.
ReplyDeletei do think the media play a significant role in our lives, dictating where the coolest places to be are and what the latest fashion trend is. i congratulate anyone who CAN ignore what the media so constantly throws at us.
ReplyDeleteI have always felt as if media had played an important role in our lives. However, I would not go to the extreme like they did. If a parent does his/her job by making sure they aren't watching racist shows, then there will be no harm in young children watching disney movies!
ReplyDeleteI believe that the media does have an impact on my life. We can't really ignore the media, since it is always with us. It is very hard to ignore the media, since it is always with us.
ReplyDelete